Friday 9 April 2010

Is spring finally here...?

After a rather dull Easter weekend and greyish start to the week it feels like spring may finally have arrived and with it (hopefully) comes feelings of fresh beginnings and new starts. I'm not sure how much spring fever has infiltrated my work this week so far but I had a good meeting with my counterpart in one of the other three site libraries of the Trust this week about keeping records of the work we do. As a result I now have a shiny Excel spreadsheet with separate worksheets for one-to-one sessions, group sessions, training or meetings I have attended and best of all...Athens stats. I have not been very good thus far about keeping full records on my training and have come to regret it when my manager comes demanding statistics, statistics, statistics because the local primary care organisation wants to cut funding or the Trust wants to know it's getting it's money's worth from the library services....If nothing else it helps me remember what the heck I've done the last few months as try as I might I just cannot recall people's names, job titles or what I trained them on even just a few days later. Must be old age setting in...
.....................................................................

This week's 'Wednesday Workshop' was on electronic care pathways as a number of products have sprung up in recent years and nobody seems to know about them! The two I concentrate on in this course are CKS (mainly primary care pathways) and Map of Medicine (for primary and secondary care). I can no means pretend to be a clinician but if I were I would find these programs rather marvellous as they walk you through, step-by-step each part of the patient journey from initial assessment to diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Certainly any time I've trained on CKS or MoM people have found them very useful. I need to think of ways to "sell" this course that will get people interested. Any ideas, please send them on!
......................................................................

Had a rather lovely one-to-one session with a local dentist this week as well. It was the first time I have done a guided search session on a medical history topic and the results were quite interesting! The dentist is currently building up a document collection on 'biomechanical trauma' in dentistry and is very interested in all things libraries. I have been charged with the tasks of finding the origin of ISSNs and who produces DOIs and instead of hitting Google I might just go through my library school notes and see what I can find.
.....................................................................

Another busy one next week with a 'Staying Up-to-Date' group session on Monday, my final FILE presentation on Wednesday and (one I'm really looking forward to!) an information searching session with a group of music therapists on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment